Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal - Caity


Either you're a pumpkin-hater or a pumpkin-lover: I fall strongly in the latter group. The day the calendar switches from August to September, I eat anything and everything pumpkin flavored. I was so excited to get a pumpkin bagel after work the other day, I talked about it multiple times throughout the shift to my friend and co-worker, Emily. When we got to the bagel place, Emily told the cashier about how obsessed I am with pumpkin bagels and the cashier gave me a free pumpkin bagel. Being crazy pays off!!! 

My mom sent me this recipe for Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal and I knew I had to try it ASAP. After a long night at the hospital (where they seem to be trying to freeze out all the employees by hiding the thermostats), a warm breakfast makes everything better (after a long, hot shower too of course). Usually, I am so tired after work I will eat the first thing I see (for example apple, chips, cookies, ice cream, etc.) which is another reason I really love this recipe. Since it uses steel cut oatmeal, the oatmeal reheats really well without getting mushy. The recipe comes from The Kitchn and I have only made one small adjustment. Prepare yourself for a bowl of chewy, pumpkiny pearls that taste like the best of fall. 

Serves 4-6

Two years ago: Hearty LasagnaSnickerdoodles



what you'll need:

2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1-1/2 cups steel cut oats
1 cup pumpkin or squash puree
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups milk
2-1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp vanilla
 1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 375 F. In a 3 quart (or larger) saucepan or Dutch oven (with oven-proof lid), heat 1 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat. When the butter foams up, stir in the oats and fry them for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until they smell toasted. 


Push the oats up against the side of the pan and drop a second Tbsp of butter in the center of the pan. 


 Dump in the pumpkin puree. Fry it in the butter, only stirring after about a minute. Stir in the sugar and spices and continue frying the puree for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until the color darkens slightly and the raw smell disappears. It's OK if a few dark brown spots appear as the puree sticks to the pan.


Pour in the milk and whisk everything to combine. Whisk in the water, vanilla and salt. Put a lid on the pan and put it in the oven.


Bake for 35 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven, and carefully lift the lid (be cautious as steam will billow out). Stir the oatmeal well. It will look quite liquidy still, but the oats should be al dente and tender. The oatmeal will thicken rapidly as it cools. 


Eat immediately with a drizzle of cream or milk and maple syrup, or let cool and then refrigerate. Heat up bowls in the microwave or on the stovetop.

Two years ago: Hearty LasagnaSnickerdoodles


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin