Summer Squash with Browned Butter and Thyme - Caity

 

Squash and zucchini are everywhere! Brendan and I were walking home from the grocery store the other day and someone had a box filled with different sized squash outside their garden with a sign that said "For our neighbors", which was very nice of them and a very Portland thing to do. They had all shapes and sizes including a pale green squash that was skinny and about 3 feet long. We picked out a couple of ones, including a baseball bat sized zucchini to make zucchini bread with and went home to enjoy our free treats. 

Sautéed Summer Squash with Browned Butter and Thyme is one of my favorite late summer side dishes and we end up making it nearly every night. It's really easy to make so I can throw it together while I'm cooking the rest of dinner. It's a simple recipe that my mom described to me over the phone one day when I was looking for something a little different from what I usually make. She's so smart! I should mail her the skinny 3 foot long squash as a thank you. 

One year ago: Barley Greek Salad

Serves 4


what you'll need:

2 medium summer squash (I like to get different colored ones) 
1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Begin by slicing the squash horizontally in 1/4 inch slices. 


In a medium pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Watch the butter closely until it turns a nice toasty brown. Do not walk away or before you know it your butter will be black and burnt! 



Reduce the heat to medium. Add the squash and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. 

Sprinkle in the thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. 

One year ago: Barley Greek Salad



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin