Fresh Bowls - Caity


Have you ever had the feeling, like after a road trip, that your insides are soaked in Cheetos and Coke? Like you have only consumed highly processed foods for the last 24-48 hours and you just feel... bleh! It's times like those that I like to make myself a Fresh Bowl. I get to load up on crunchy veggies, creamy avocado, steaming brown rice all drizzled with tasty Beach Sauce. Also, the bowls are so big, I always have leftovers for lunch the next day. 

This recipe is slightly adapted from the "Fresh" cookbook which was written by the owners of the Fresh restaurants located in Toronto, Canada. The Fresh restaurants are well known for their modern vegetarian fare and made-to-order juices. I have never been, but I really want to go! I bought the cookbook at Powell's last year and have really enjoyed every recipe I have made. 

The recipe for Beach Sauce and Dried Mixed Herbs is included below and will make much more than you need for one bowl. After you make it once then it shortens the prep time for future Fresh Bowls. Also, these bowls are served with 3 wedges of lemon, which may sound like a lot, but it tastes great when it's quite lemony! 


Serves 1

what you'll need:

for the Bowls
1/2 cup chopped and steamed broccoli
1-1/2 cups cooked brown basmati rice
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/3 cup finely sliced napa cabbage
1/4 cup sliced jicama, into large matchsticks 
1/4 cup sliced carrots, into large matchsticks 
1/4 cup shredded yellow beet (I don't use this because beets taste like dirt... just my opinion) 
1 Tbsp chopped green onion
2 Tbsp sliced almonds
3 lemon wedges
3-5 Tbsp Beach Sauce (see recipe below)

for the Beach Sauce (makes 1 cup)
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp Mixed Dried Herbs (see recipe below)

for the Mixed Dried Herbs
2 Tbsp dried basil
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp dried marjoram
2 Tbsp dried dill
2 Tbsp dried sage
1 Tbsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dried tarragon

This is how I like to cut my jicama and carrots so they stay nice and crunchy!


Prepare the Mixed Dried Herbs. I wasn't able to find all of these herbs at the grocery store so I used what I could find. Once you make this once, you won't have to make it again for a long time which cuts down on the preparation time for future Fresh Bowls! 

Prepare the Beach Sauce by whisking together the olive oil, soy sauce and Mixed Dried Herbs. 


Begin by placing the rice in the bottom of a large bowl. 

Drizzle with 1 Tbsp of the Beach sauce. 

Arrange the avocado slices on the rice.


Add the cabbage and steamed broccoli. 


And the carrots and jicama. 


Finish with the green onions, almonds and Beach sauce. 

Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin