Barley Greek Salad - Caity


Last month, my cousin Jacob married a cute woman named Jessica in Milwaukee and (almost) the entire Walsh family got together. This is a very large group of people and they are all fabulous and I love seeing them! I am already looking forward to the next Walsh reunion, whenever that happens. 

The wedding was gorgeous and everyone had a blast. The weekend came to an end too quickly and before I know it I was at the airport. I came back to Portland with two very special souvenirs: a sausage shaped like a bottle of beer (weird right?) and a delicious recipe for Barley Greek Salad. 

My Auntie Ellyn (the one and the same Auntie Ellyn from Auntie Ellyn and Uncle Todd's Chopped Salad) was telling me about a recipe she has been making a lot lately that is Greek Salad but made with barley. She said the flavor was fantastic, it was easy to make, AND it kept well in the fridge. I was sold. 

The first time I made it, I ate it for dinner on Monday, lunch on Tuesday, dinner on Tuesday and lunch on Thursday. I have made it twice since then and love it just as much every time. 

The recipe comes from "Down Home With the Neely's" on the Food Network. The recipe doesn't call for cucumber, but I like to add it because it adds nice color and crunch. Today, my mom suggested adding some Preserved Lemons which I think would be just fabulous. 

One year ago: Corn Risotto Dip

Serves 4 to 6

what you'll need:

1 cup pearled barley
Kosher salt
2 cups yellow and red cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (sliced or unsliced, I like to slice)
1/4 cup diced cucumber
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 shallot, minced
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper

Combine the barley with 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt in a medium sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the barley is tender (about 45 minutes). Drain in a colander, run cool water over, and allow to cool. 


Combine the tomatoes, feta, olives, cucumber, shallot, bell peppers and mint in a bowl. Add the cooled barley and mix. 

Whisk together the red wine vinegar and olive oil in a separate small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and pour over barley mixture and toss. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until ready to serve. 

One year ago: Corn Risotto Dip


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin