Grilled Lemon Chicken Salad - Erin


I've just been out of town, which means my boyfriend has only stayed alive thanks to Del Taco and Burger King.  When I came home he requested "something light" for dinner, so this popped into my head.  It's a delicious, fresh-tasting, crunchy, lemony salad from Barefoot Contessa.  Our mom was introduced to it by her friend Liz Owens, and our mom gives her great credit for finding such a fabulous and aesthetically pleasing salad!  Erik gives it credit for being "really, really good."

what you will need


for the chicken:
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (if you use the bottled stuff, my mom will track you down and torture you, I promise)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme leaves
2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, halved and skin removed

for the salad:
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (same rules from above)
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 cup raw sugar snap peas (I had snow peas, it was fine)
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 yellow bell pepper, julienned
1 lemon, very thinly sliced (organic, since you eat the rind)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Pour over the chicken breasts in a nonreactive bowl (or a zip-lock bag, making sure it is tightly closed and upright). Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight (the longer the better). I read this last sentence too late... Like, after I turned the grill on. And it was still delicious, so I'm impressed!

Heat the grill to medium high and cook the chicken breasts for about 8 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Cool slightly and cut diagonally in ½-thick slices. 
Chill the chicken in the refrigerator.  Once chilled, toss the chicken in a bowl with its juices plus the lemon juice, olive oil, sugar snap peas, red and yellow peppers, lemon slices, salt and pepper.  Taste for seasonings and serve cold or at room temperature.  So good, and a perfect summer meal!  

*I had leftover chicken, and I made an incredible pizza with it, and you can find that here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Orange Sauce (aka Crack Sauce) - Cathy

Buttery Snickerdoodle Cake - Erin